ABOUT THE RINGS
Q: Where are your rings made?
- Our rings are sourced by our partner Balfour, who is based in Austin, Texas, and has been making rings for over 100 years! However, the rings are manufactured all over the world, including some in Austin, TX. (A recent ruling has passed in which the label of where the ring was made must be placed on the actual ring rather than the ring box or bag.)
Q: How do I figure out my ring size?
- 1) Get Sized At A Jeweler
- We strongly recommend you visit a jeweler for a professional sizing. This will ensure the most accurate size and minimize the chances that you will order incorrectly.
- 2) Test It Out
- When you receive your new ring: If it initially seems to be a little too large or too small, try wearing it for a few weeks to get used to it before requesting a different size. Remember, different activities and temperatures throughout the day will cause your hands and fingers to constantly change, so it’s normal to have a ring feel tight sometimes and lose other times--often on the same day. Wearing your new ring for a few weeks will help you better determine if a resize is necessary.
Q: How large are these military rings?
- The dimensions vary slightly according to ring size. However, here are the dimensions for the Freedom and Independence rings [for standard size 10]. 20mm across the widest part on top. 28mm from top of the stone to bottom of the ring shank. The simulated stones are 12X10mm. The Patriot ring is 22mm across the widest part on top; 30mm from the top of the stone to the bottom of the ring shank. The Venus ring is 9mm across the top, 20mm across the shank, and 24mm from the top of the stone to the bottom of the ring shank. The men's Signet ring measures approximately 16.8mm x 13.4mm. The men's Combat top is 13mm x 11mm and the outer edges of the base measure approximately 20mm x 17.5mm.
Q: I need to make a change to a ring I just ordered. Is this possible?
- Email us the exact changes you need to be made to the ring at [email protected] ; depending on where your ring is in the manufacturing process we may be able to make changes.
Q: I lost my ring. Can you replace it?
- We should have your information on file. We can make a new ring for you. Please call customer service at (859) 334-0737 if you need assistance.
Q: Will the metal tarnish or fade? Will it turn my finger green?
- Our rings do not tarnish and will not turn your finger green.
Q: What is Siladium?
- Siladium®: A fine jeweler's stainless steel, with silver-toned looks that is value priced. Contains 12% nickel. Sun-Lite (Golden) Silladium®: Featuring the durability of fine jeweler's steel, electro-charged with the look of yellow Gold. Contains 12% nickel. The Golden Siladium ring is a "plated" style look. The gold-look is not mixed into the metal itself.
Q: What is Silver Select™?
- This metal is our state of the art invention (patent pending). Silver Select is harder than other tarnish-resistant silver metals and more precious than Sterling Silver. It has a brilliant white luster familiar to sterling silver buyers with added strength from platinum. It is 95% silver, and 5% copper and platinum alloy.
Q: Which metals are available?
- Balfour military rings are available in Valadium®, Golden Valadium®, Silver Select®, 10kt and 14kt white gold, and 10kt, 14kt, and 18kt yellow gold. The yellow gold options are a mixture of gold and alloys of silver, zinc, and copper.
Q: How would you describe the silver plus? Can it be done in a natural finish?
- The Balfour Premium Silver is described as ‘The brilliance of silver strengthened with platinum. Our unique and patented metal gives you beauty and durability.’ Yes, it is available in both the Antique Finish and Natural Finish.
Q: What is the difference between natural and antique finish?
- The antique finish has a dark background that brings out the polished details. It is the most popular finish. The natural finish is as beautiful as the antique finish but without a dark background. Natural finish is only available on gold rings.
Q: What do you mean by left and right sides?
- The "left" side corresponds to the left side of the ring as the ring-wearer looks at the ring. In this case, the wording around the stone is right-side up to the wearer.
Q: When a laservue is put on a ring, is it always white?
- No, The color of the laservue matches the metal of the ring. The Siladium and white gold rings will have a white laservue. The gold and gold-looking rings will have a yellow laservue.
Q: I need a special emblem made. Is this possible?
- Yes. A minimum of FIVE  rings must be ordered at the same time. The set-up fee for the metal-die and manufacture of a special custom emblem is $400.00. Please allow an additional three to four weeks for delivery. If you order TEN  or more rings with a custom emblem, we waive the set-up fee.
ABOUT THE EMBLEMS
Q: Is side one on the left or the right?
- The first side of the military ring is the left side and the second side is the right side.
Q: Which words are included in the side emblem designs?
- The words that appear below the emblem are always included. The words that appear above the emblem are optional, customizable engravings.
Q: I would like special wording around the stone (the area around the ring is referred to as the bezel). Is this possible?
- Yes. The set-up fee for the metal-die and manufacture of custom wording around the stone is $70.00. Please allow an additional two weeks for delivery.
ABOUT THE ENGRAVINGS
Q: May I engrave lower case letters on the sides?
- No. All engravings are in capital letters. You may engrave lower case letters on the interior of the ring (up to 18 characters, including spaces)
Q: How are engravings aligned?
- All engravings are centered above the side emblem you choose. Engravings on two lines are also centered on the emblem.
Q: What engravings are prohibited?
- We prohibit profanity as any wording that may be considered disrespectful in any way, as well as trademarked words. If in doubt, please contact us.
MANUFACTURING & SHIPPING TIMES
Q: When should I expect my rings?
- Each personalized military ring requires between four to six weeks to manufacture.
Q: Where can rings be sent?
- We're pleased to ship to every address in the U.S.A., plus Guam and Puerto Rico. We ship to P.O. boxes, as well as every U.S. military base worldwide.
Q: Do you ship to APO addresses?
Q: Do you ship internationally?
- Yes. There is an additional $30 surcharge for international shipments.
Q: Can my ring be re-sized?
- We offer the first resize on our military rings for free. All you need to do is include the return postage of $14.95. Any additional resizing will incur a $25.00 resizing charge, plus the return postage. Our Repairs Department will assess the ring when received, and we will contact you if there are any concerns or any other charges. On a resize, the ring must be identical to the order in our system. No changes can be made to the ring. If changes are requested, additional charges will apply. Send the ring to the address that is listed on the back of your paperwork or email [email protected] for the address.
- If you have a ring that needs repair, please email us first! [email protected] We will help you make sure your ring will be covered for a repair.
- Balfour® is dedicated to providing the highest level of product and workmanship to achieve your total satisfaction. Should you need to repair your Balfour ring, send it insured to "Balfour Attn: Repair Dept. 7211 Circle S. Road, Austin, TX 78745"
- Include your name, or original order number (if available), instructions as to the type of repair you want done, a return address and a daytime phone number so we can contact you to approve any charges. We recommend that you send the ring using a traceable method like USPS, UPS or FedEx. Please remit a $14.95 shipping/handling/insurance charge with your ring.
- Many times, repairs can be done on a ring; however, some requests may require that your ring be remade. If your ring is very sentimental to you and you do not want it remade, an explicit note directing that the ring not be remade must be included with the ring. A remake fee will apply to any order that must be remade.
Q: What is the metal Siladium?
- It is a fine stainless steel metal
Q: What is Golden Siladium?
- The same metal as Siladium but it goes through a process that makes it look more yellow similar to a 10 c gold look.
Q: How does Golden Siladium compare to 14 c gold-?
- The 14 c gold looks more yellow. It has true gold in it.
Q: Are the rings high school size or college size?
- They are high school size. The manufacture no longer makes college size.
Q: Are you able to put UNITED STATES ARMY WIFE around the stone?
Balfour is a proven leader in military ring design, designing some of the earliest rings worn by West Point Academy cadets. Our experienced designers have crated an extensive line of personalized rings that represent the commitment, traditions and friendships of your military career
Our cutting-edge technology allows for intricate and precise detail to be rendered in the ring molds used to customize military rings
Making a Wax Pattern
In this step, our craftsmen use the ring molds to produce a wax replica of your ring. The goal is make sure that every detail you've chosen is perfect
Traditional Cast Making
Cast making is a multistep process that is thousands of years old. First, a plaster is poured over the wax, and then the wax is melted to create a mold. Next, the molten material you selected (gold, silver or Celestrium) is poured into your mold to harden. Finally, your casted mold moves through a series of ovens at precise temperatures to provide strength and luster. Your ring is starting to become a reality
The metal casting of your ring is carefully shaped by our master craftsmen to reveal the beauty of the materials and the details of the design you selected
Depending on the finish you selected, we can add a dark coating to the recesses of your ring to highlight the intricate details and designs
To make your ring truly shine, we have a special highlighting step that pulls out individual details in your ring
As a final customization step, using our precision-based tools, we will engrave the name, date or message of your choice on the inside of your ring
Each handcrafted Balfour ring is individually inspected to provide you with the highest level of workmanship. You can now take as much pride in your ring as you do with your military career.